Re: GPLv2-only considered harmful [was Re: GnuTLS in Debian]

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 05:59:35PM -0500, Stephen M. Webb wrote:
> On 12/28/2013 04:15 PM, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> >> There are organization who will allow v2 but not v3 because of the tivoizaton and patent clauses.  A developer may want
> >> his work to be used by such organizations as well as by Debian.
> >
> > That would be an argument for v2+, not v2 only.
>
> Nope.  An organization that will not accept the GPLv3 because of the tivoization and patent clauses will not accept
> GPLv2 or later.  The "or later" clause means a downstream can invoke their rights under the GPLv3 to demand secret
> encryption keys or upstream can revoke the license for patent action.  These organizations do not accept GPLv2+ because
> it's effectively GPLv3.

The "or later" means "or later" and just that.  It doesn't mean
a downstream can say they received it under the later version.
And the upstream can't claim that either.

But a downstream can change it to v3+ if they wish, but that
doesn't change anything for the people they got it from for
whom it will still be v2+ (until they change that).

Kurt