Re: systemd effectively mandatory now due to GNOME

On 2013-12-21 18:04:19 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> writes:
> > I've spent several hours to find what was wrong with lightdm, and
> > eventually found the culprit earlier today: just the fact that the
> > systemd package was installed! So, yes, systemd currently breaks things,
> > even if it is not used (I don't use GNOME itself, sometimes some GNOME
> > apps that work without the GNOME environment, so that in any case
> > systemd is completely useless for me).
>
> I suspect that this is a bug of some kind in lightdm in its detection of
> whether to use systemd-only features.

I don't think so: the tests CanSuspend, CanHibernate, CanReboot
and CanPowerOff don't seem to return consistent results.

> That said, the display managers in Debian other than kdm and gdm are not
> ready for systemd at the moment.  I had to switch to gdm3 to use systemd
> (by which I mean booting with it) because neither slim nor lightdm worked
> properly.

I actually had to switch from gdm3 to lightdm because I could no longer
reboot or power off the machine with the new version... apparently due
to an issue with systemd:

Another user at least has the same issue.