Re: systemd effectively mandatory now due to GNOME

]] Steve Langasek

> Formally, it only requires that the dbus services be available, which is
> given by installing the systemd package, not by running it as init.

That's actually due to a missing feature in the dbus daemon: it should
either have a way to key off init/file system features (so I can say
«this service can only start if $dir exists»), or it should have a dir
in /run where upstart can generate the .service files for dbus-daemon so
logind actually is only startable with systemd as pid 1.

> But there are several issues with having this all in one package the way it
> is currently.  In addition to the dbus services, the systemd package ships:
>
>  - /lib/lsb/init-functions.d/40-systemd - functions which permute the
>    behavior of LSB init scripts

.. if you're running systemd, sure.

>  - /lib/udev/rules.d/99-systemd.rules - udev rules that will be active on
>    any system with /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd present (because of logind, this
>    directory is not a good proxy for whether pid1 == systemd).

That's a bug that it checks for the wrong directory.  That's a trivial
bugfix to change.

--
Tollef Fog Heen