Re: away_0.9.5+ds-0+nmu2_multi.changes ACCEPTED into unstable

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Colin Watson wrote:

> Linking in the correct order is not a workaround; it's being correct.

I wasn't talking about link-order stuff but about dependency
inflation; binaries linking against libraries that aren't used by the
binaries linking against them. IIRC this is the purpose of --as-needed
and what it works around.

To clarify further, I think --as-needed should be the default in GCC
upstream, not just in Ubuntu or elsewhere. Debian should not make it
the default before upstream do. Until it becomes the default in GCC
upstream, Debian should send patches to remove dependency inflation
from upstream build systems. If the linker generates errors then we
will be forced to send patches but if the linker just warns then we
would have to rely on the buildd log scanner reporting these issues to
maintainers via the PTS. Hopefully our upstreams will eventually start
using the new GCC and begin fixing these issues on their own.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise