Re: let's split the systemd binary package

On 26/10/13 21:23, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> "Session tracking" includes suspending/hibernating, because logind has
>> a mechanism to let apps delay suspend, which is necessary for things
>> like closing the inherent race condition in "lock the screensaver when
>> we suspend... oh, oops, it didn't get scheduled until after we
>> resumed, so the old screen contents are still visible for a moment
>> when you open your laptop".
>
> Has this finally been fixed?  Locking and suspend is not synchronized
> in GNOME 3.8.

My understanding is that this was finally fixed in the GNOME 3.8 cycle:
if you have GNOME Shell 3.8 and logind, and something suspends *via
logind* (including hotkeys, lid-close events and Shell itself), suspend
will be delayed until either the Shell has locked the screen, or some
reasonably long timeout has elapsed. I could be wrong there, though.

If a privileged process suspends not-via-logind (direct use of kernel
interfaces, and perhaps also pm-suspend), then logind doesn't have the
opportunity to enforce that locking. Also, I'm not sure whether
gnome-screensaver, as used in fallback/flashback/whatever it's called
this week, participates in that locking mechanism.