Re: Proposal: s have a GR about the init system

Le Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 07:33:01PM -0400, Scott Kitterman a écrit :

> I think that is all true and correct, but I certainly didn't get that from
> the original message. It certainly read to me like an attempt to undermine
> the legitimacy of any future TB decision in favor of upstart.  ICBW, of
> course.

Hi Scott,

while the original message may be borderline, the conflict of interest is here.

Conflict of interest is not a judgement on a person.  It is a judgement about a
situation, and a recommendation on how systematically react, without making
exceptions.

For the choice of an init system, the technical comittee is a typical example
where conflict of interest disqualifies a large number of its members (3
current or former employees of Canonical).  This has been also observed in
comittees making decisions on the approval of pharmaceutical drugs on the
market, for instance, and it is a hard problem to solve.

Luckily, the quorum of the technical comittee is 2 and the president has a
casting vote, so it is possible to take a decision with the remaining members
only.  I hope that the conflict of interest will be taken seriously if there is
a vote.

But I also think that it is premature to make a decision without seeing the
final implementations working.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy