Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

> For people who just don't care, are you doing them a favour by installing
> xfce rather than GNOME?
>
> I don't think so. Most of the things people hate about GNOME are things that
> GNOME is doing to specifically target people who just don't care.

Personally I wouldn't put Gnome 3 in front of new users as with
my only fairly short lived recent experience you would end up similar to
win8 with the "how do I shutdown issue". I switched my parents over to
XFCE (without udisks, polkit, some system dbus-services even) from
Unity and they are very happy.

Another plus, XFCE is fast on many systems, you cannot say that about
KDE and Gnome.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)