Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 16:40 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> This goes back to during the wheezy release cycle. There was a little
> discussion around a change in tasksel [1], but rather too late in the
> day for the change to make sense. Now we have rather more time, I
> feel. Let's change the default desktop for installation to xfce.

Do we really need a default desktop?

The only arguments in favour of it I can think of is that it spares users to
make an informed decision (which might be overwhelming to a user new to Linux)
and that the content of CD2 depends on it. (thanks ansgar)

I understand that the both of these are good arguments, but maybe solutions
can be found for both. One idea would be the design of better download pages
[0] that provide minimal information about the desktop environments like a
picture of the desktop and a link to the upstream project. Not sure what to do
with the CD sets though.

[0] Work on making the download pages easier to navigate is long overdue anyway
--
Wolodja <debian@babilen5.org>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC