Re: systemd effectively mandatory now due to GNOME

On Thu, 2013-10-24 at 16:05 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> >Well, Debian is aiming for full systemd integration with Jessie, so
> >there is that.
>
> Ummm, no. You and some others might be, but not Debian as a whole
> AFAICS.

I just wondered... when and how is this going to be decided? I mean,
whether systemd will become default or not.

I mean the current boot system has several issues which cannot be easily
solved there (what's most importantly for me is
https://wiki.debian.org/AdvancedStartupShutdownWithMultilayeredBlockDevices).
This is probably not only the "fault" of sysvinit but also the
initramfs-scripts/hooks of some packages,... and systemd doesn't fix all
these AFAIK, but I guess it would be easier there.

Anyway,... at some point some decision has probably to be made what
Debian will do (per default)... when and how?

Cheers,
Chris.