Re: a stupid suggestion for dpkg?

Le Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 09:47:23PM +0200, Patrice Duroux a écrit :

> May be this is the wrong place or my subject has been already discussed
> in different ways, but is it a crazy idea that a package provides kinds
> of pre- prerm and/or post- postinst scripts regarding package(s) that
> is(are) just recommended or suggested by it? So that those scripts are
> then executed before removal or after installation of the related one(s)
> (in conjonction of it then).
> I was thinking of it as a general approach to solve small issues like
> #727251 by for instance creating/deleting a link into /etc/xdg/autostart
> or anything else similar.

Dear Patrice,

this is called dpkg triggers.

They are explained in the manual pages of dpkg-trigger(1) and deb-triggers(5),
and in /usr/share/doc/dpkg-dev/triggers.txt.gz on your system.

By the way, fellow developers, I did some work to integrate this documentation
in the Policy, and there needs one more assessement that this integration is
correct and consensual.  It seems that the size of the patch(es) has been
an obstacle to the review, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

I plan a Policy update by the end of October, and my gut feeling is that if by
that time, peple stay silent on the issue, the work will go straight in the
dust bin.  I am of course happy to delay a bit the update if one needs more time
to review the patches.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy