Re: Propose Release Goals (delayed ;) - xz compression

On Wed, October 16, 2013 16:20, Hideki Yamane wrote:
>  As dpkg introduced xz compression by default, we can make whole
>  packages xz-ed now. I think it's worth to try, so propose it as
>  a release goal (I know it should be sent before its dead line, but
>  please read).

Because dpkg >=1.17.0 already does this by default, we can assume that the
vast majority of packages will automatically use xz compression by the
simple fact that they've been uploaded during the jessie cycle.

What would the release goal add to this? Do you propose e.g. binNMU's of
those packages that haven't been uploaded since dpkg 1.17 entered the
archive? If so, at what point would you start doing that, and how do you
deal with arch:all packages? Please make the proposed actions more
explicit.

Thijs