Re: automake transition breakages

Russ Allbery writes ("Re: automake transition breakages"):
> Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> writes:
> > Meaning one needs to get a fix once; a random NMUer might need to chase
> > upstream patches (never a pleasure when fixing unrelated issues). Given
> > what you wrote, I'm not sure what it buys us to keep -Werror in
> > distribution packages, except for the possibly ticking time bomb.
>
> Well, the simple answer is that we avoid having to maintain local patches
> against the upstream source to remove -Werror, since generally it's not
> something over which we have a choice without patching the upstream
> source.  It's usually expressed in configure.ac.

I don't think this is a sufficiently good reason to take the
portability hit.

Think, for example, about downstreams (including users) who may want
to forward-port a package to a different Debian release and thus a
different automake version.

For such a central tool as automake, we should tolerate lots of
version skew slop.

Ian.