Re: ports and multiarch

> On 2 Oct 2013, at 20:44, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>
> I don't think Debian development should be driven by retro-computing.

No, but driven by demand makes sense to me, and I'm glad Stephen pulled some figures on that.

> I'm not saying we should drop support for perfectly usable machines,
> but most of those 32-bit Macs are soon going to be too slow or too
> broken for practical use (if they aren't already).

If PowerPC (32) was dropped for the next stable release, in practice it wouldn't affect me because yes, odds are my PowerPC box will not outlive wheezy-as-oldstable, which is likely to be at least 5 years from now.

(If it did I'm likely to simply replace it rather than throw energy at the port, as I'm sadly short of time)

Btw 2nd hand Mac mini g4s make great, cheap home servers. I use one for backups and DLNA (and minor porting fix ups). Very robust, recommended.