Re: Replacing unrar-free with unar wrapper

於 2013年09月23日 22:30, Dominik George 提到:
> Hi, maintainers of unar and unrar-free,
>
> as you might have seen on the BTS, I have today filed a bug report on
> unrar-free and revisited an old bug, both of which make unrar-free
> largely unusable [1][2]. I found that unrar-free seems to be umaintained
> and has not had any commits by upstream for the last 6+ years, and
> important bugs are open and ignored.
>
> I found that the unar command from theunarchiver, which is even
> recommended by the FSF [3], can handle multipart, modern RAR archives
> just fine, only the command-line is incompatible to unrar-free and
> unrar-nonfree [4].
>
> One issue is that some tools in Debian, among which are usenet clients,
> comic book readers, and others, rely on the syntax of unrar-nonfree, for
> some reason I do not know, maybe because it works, in contrast to
> unrar-free. I guess the command-line compatibility in unrar-free has
> been added for this very reason, but it failed to become a drop-in
> replacement for unrar-nonfree because it exits uncleanly on passing some
> unrar-free options, and in general does not provide the functionality of
> unrar-nonfree.
>
> My proposal is to remove unrar-free from Debian, for the reasons
> mentioned above, and add a patch to src:unar that include a wrapper
> script that provides a command-line wrapper compatible to both
> unrar-free and unrar-nonfree, so unar can become a drop-in replacement
> for both.
>
> I would like to create th ewrapper script and resulting patch, but
> first, I would like to hear your thoughts about my research and
> proposal.
>
> Cheers,
> Nik
>
> [1]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=724295
> [2]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=270751
> [3]: https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/free-rarv3-extraction
> [4]: http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=unrar-free

Hi,

Nice idea. The unrar-free currently only able to decompress the 2.x
format, which is the DOS-era rar files.

Please provide a patch to unar first because we currently are using
update-alternatives for /usr/bin/unrar. So actually you can work on unar
and let it has normal priority for that (unrar-free uses really low
priority). It won't be conflict to have unrar-free unar together for a
while. After we make sure that unar has a compatibility cmd-line options
with unrar-nonfree, and then I'll file a RoM of unrar-free package.

Yours,
Paul

--
                                PaulLiu (劉穎駿)