Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)

Cyril Brulebois writes ("Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)"):
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> (2013-09-18):
> > for a small native package that I prepared, I would like to indicate dgit's
> > repository as VCS in its source control file (Vcs-Browser and Vcs-Git fields).
> >
> > However, it does not clone nor browse well:
> >  - ‘http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=dgit-repos/repos/pv-grub-menu.git;a=tree’;
> >    gives ‘404 - Reading tree failed’.

That it doesn't browse well is indeed annoying.  On the server the
dgit suite branch ref names aren't in refs/heads/, which is needed to
stop git pushing to them by default.  But that makes gitweb not show
them either.  I'm open to suggestions for how to improve this.

If you make a master branch and put something useful on it, then this
will work.

NB that you can't really use the dgit suite branch (refs/dgit/<suite>)
in dgit-repos as a working branch, because it is only updated by dgit
push - so you can't use it for sharing work.

> >  - ‘git clone git://anonscm.debian.org/dgit-repos/repos/pv-grub-menu.git’ gives
> >    ‘warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.’
>
> HEAD probably points to master, and there's no branch at all, just two tags.

Yes.  (They're not tags, they're refs which are actually treated more
like branches than tags.)

Creating a master branch will fix this problem too.

Alternatively, of course, you can use dgit clone.

Ian.