Re: Preventing government subversion in Debian, verification of binary package uploads

On 08/24/2013 07:55 PM, Robert Holtzm wrote:

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 11:45:54PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:

Here I assume that U.S. law is not so draconian that it can require
someone who has contributed to Debian (and who is therefore
trusted) to continue doing so.

Don't be too sure. The owner of, I believe, lavabit was threatened
with criminal prosecution for shutting down his site rather than
comply with the NSA. Can't vouch for that but that's the story going
around.

It's unclear, but the interpretation of the reports which I find most
plausible is that the threat (of "contempt of court", AIUI) may have
been not for shutting down the site or for refusing to comply but for
effectively violating a gag order about the whole thing by the way he
explained that - and why - he was shutting down.

--
   The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger