Re: UTF-8 in jessie

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 05:58:20PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 03:50:19PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > 5. All programs consuning UTF8 Text must understand a BOM.
>
> I'm afraid I don't agree here: BOMs are nasty stuff that serve no purpose
> once you standardize on UTF8.  They might help with exchange with a minority
> of Windows programs, at a cost at our side.  Windows hardly does plain text:
> most of that is MSVC/etc sources, but then, the C/C++ standards explicitely
> forbid junk in places other than comments.  Most other languages expect a
> hashbang on Unix, which makes BOMs impossible.

I agree that BOMs are nasty and should not be generated by our standard
tools.

I have been bitten by BOMs more than once and had a hard time looking
for the fault until looking at the "plain ascii" file with a hex editor.
AFAIK Tools like vim understand and hide the fact that there is a BOM
and rewrite them.

Other tools give "interesting" results stumping on a BOM.

So its inconstistent which makes it hard to find.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f@zz.de