Re: UTF-8 in jessie

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 09:58:30AM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> For the record, there is a Lintian tag for this now[1], which suggests
> only a handful of packages violates this.
>
> >  - Recommend ASCII when possible.
> >  - Require ASCII for files in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin and /usr/games.
>
> Requiring ASCII for files in $PATH should be trivial to implement as a
> separate tag.  I suppose the ASCII requirement could also be implemented
> as a pedantic check or so.  Regardless, patches welcome.  :)

I disagree here: I'd want to remove any need for that recommendation
instead.  You might have a point about files in $PATH, though.

> > About display by GUIs, I think that we should have a system to install all the
> > fonts necessary to display languages that we support at the installation.

Could be good, yeah.  At least something basic for every valid Unicode
character.

On the other hand, for me at least CJK doesn't functionally differ from
mojibake.  Which can lead to problems: on debconf 11 C&W party, the best
stuff came in a bottle marked only in Japanese, and thus I'll have to find
which one it was the hard way today :p

Jokes aside, enough of Unicode consists of line drawing, symbols and images
like 💩 U+1F4A9 PILE OF POO[2] that are readable by everyone with appropriate
fonts that we might as well just go for 100% coverage by default.  Disk
space is cheap even on weakest of today's phones, complex packaging with
moving parts has serious maintenance cost.

> [1] http://lintian.debian.org/tags/file-name-is-not-valid-UTF-8.html

[2] apt-get install ttf-ancient-fonts
Yeah, aptly named.

--