Re: UTF-8 in jessie

Le Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 02:51:52AM +0200, Adam Borowski a écrit :

> I would like to propose full UTF-8 support.  I don't mean here full
> support for all of Unicode's finer points, merely complete eradication of
> mojibake.

Hi Adam,

this is a great goal.  Here are two comments.

There is a related issue opened on the Policy (<http://bugs.debian.org/701081>),
where we propose the following:

 - Require UTF-8 for the names of all files and directories installed by binary packages.
 - Recommend ASCII when possible.
 - Require ASCII for files in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin and /usr/games.

About display by GUIs, I think that we should have a system to install all the
fonts necessary to display languages that we support at the installation.

Have a nice Debconf !

--
Charles