Re: unnecessarily tight dependency on R for r-cran-scales

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 12:56:59PM +0200, Benjamin Eikel wrote:
> Hello Faheem,
>
> Am Freitag, 9. August 2013, 15:21:36 schrieb Faheem Mitha:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When I try to install r-cran-scales in unstable, I get
>
> I think that this behavior is not special to r-cran-scales. Many other
> packages use ${R:Depends}, too (e.g., r-cran-plyr, r-cran-reshape, r-cran-
> rsqlite, r-cran-stringr).

> > To get it to work I had to rebuild on my machine.

You are right here and when we introduced the ${R:Depends} variable
(which was actually "invented" by Charles and I opened the bug report)
wie tried to convince the R maintainer to do a more relaxed dependency
but failed.  The discussion inside the bug report starts here:

I'm pretty sure that the current implementation is of R:Depends is
creating the trouble because it is not querying for `R --version` but is
rather using r-base-core but I (and Charles) totally failed in
convincing Dirk that his approach might cause the trouble you are
facing right now.

I'd be really happy if somebody could explain the problem with other
words - the patch is available in bug #659163.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de