Re: Finding correct component for Virtual Box / Debian / screen resolution issue

Paul Wise:
>> In /etc/default/grub using GRUB_GFXMODE="1280x1024" works, but only for
>> the grub boot menu.
>>
>> I don't know which driver/module grub is loading to achieve that. Other
>> then the GRUB_GFXMODE="1280x1024 change, no other changes. So grub
>> default, whatever that is. Any way I could find out? Probably indeed
>> vesa. (Because other standards available at that early phase don't even
>> support higher resolutions in principle as far I know.)
>
> It appears that grub loads multiple video modules, from my /boot/grub/grub.cfg:
>
> function load_video {
>   insmod vbe
>   insmod vga
>   insmod video_bochs
>   insmod video_cirrus
> }
>
> Not sure about how to find out what it uses.

While I commented out insmod vga, insmod video_bochs and insmod
video_cirrus, I still had a high resolution.

While only insmod vbe was commented in, I was back to 640x468.

So I think its reasonable to believe its the vbe driver making this
possible.