Re: Finding correct component for Virtual Box / Debian / screen resolution issue

Paul Wise:
>> This question is about Virtual Box / Debian / screen resolution without
>> having guest additions installed.
>
> I see, is there any reason to not do that?

Security reasons. It weakens isolation between guest and host. See also
[1]. Another reason is, guest additions are every now and then not
installable.

> Anyway, looking at the Xorg.log you posted, it is using VESA. It
> rejects (various reasons) all the modes returned by the virtual
> firmware and uses some hard-coded built-in modes instead. Probably
> this is either #566153 or #563203 and I think has been present
> forever;

Maybe. Have they been forwarded upstream? Are there workarounds?

>> (It should work. Grub can do higher resolutions in grub boot menu as
>> noted in my bug report. Why Linux can not?)
>
> I missed that point. Do you know which driver/module grub is loading
> to achieve that? I expect it is using VESA and trusting the virtual
> firmware instead.

In /etc/default/grub using GRUB_GFXMODE="1280x1024" works, but only for
the grub boot menu.

I don't know which driver/module grub is loading to achieve that. Other
then the GRUB_GFXMODE="1280x1024 change, no other changes. So grub
default, whatever that is. Any way I could find out? Probably indeed
vesa. (Because other standards available at that early phase don't even
support higher resolutions in principle as far I know.)

[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTk5Mw