Re: Finding correct component for Virtual Box / Debian / screen resolution issue

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

> Doesn't look like something to be run in d-i.

As I understand it, isenkram is just a proof of concept of the idea.
It also seems to be a reimplementation of discover?

> discover already pulls virtualbox bits in. Mentioned not so long ago in:
>   https://lists.debian.org/20130726091036.GB22819@mraw.org

Aha, so that is where I should file a patch for installing
thinkfan/etc on Thinkpads when installing with d-i.

It appears that discover and isenkram uses a hard-coded list (in
discover-data) of mappings between devices. If DEP-11 support were to
be added to the archive and to discover, maintaining the list of
mappings between devices and packages would be delegated to individual
maintainers of the packages in question. discover/isenkram/PackageKit
would then use apt data to discover which packages to install on which
hardware.

BTW, virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 got renamed to virtualbox-guest-x11 in
2011 so the discover-data package needs updating for that transition.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise