Re: Status of deb(5) format support in Debian

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 05:21:01PM +0100, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> On 1 August 2013 16:21, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:

> >> For debian-installer (et. al. components) at the moment control.tar.gz
> >> is often larger than data.tar.xz since "templates" are very long and
> >> include a lot of translations.
> >
> > Hmm... indeed, some udebs have monstrous control tarballs, the biggest one
> > being 1167360 bytes long (uncompressed).
> >
> >> So for that package group it's valuable to have control.tar.xz.
> >
> > Still, total gains for all udebs (jessie netinst amd64) are only 1.22MB.
> > Should I try this for regular debs?
> >

> libc6 compressed control.tar.gz is 66kB
>
> It has uncompressed 111kB symbols, 68.5kB templates.....

Aaaand the winner is:
ns3-doc
tar: 10199040
gz:   2306528
xz:   1945456

Looks like I underestimated packages with massive control files.

On the other hand, the total gain for all regular debs in the archive is
just 14MB (out of 58GB amd64 unstable main+contrib+non-free).  I'd still
say it's not worth having to modify every tool, but it's up to you to
decide.

In any case, here's the raw data:
http://angband.pl/tmp/deb-control.sql
http://angband.pl/tmp/udeb-control.sql