Re: Status of deb(5) format support in Debian

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:16:02PM +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> I know that everyone dreams about a stable API for a library, but I believe
> that even an unstable library at this point is way better than the status
> quo of having other layers like libapt (which is a proof that even if being
>  unstable is a pain, the alternative would be worse – and that's a freaking
>  C++ "library" …) providing makeshift replacements.

FWIW, I agree with that.

I mentioned the libdpkg-dev API warnings as data point. But I don't
think an incompatible change in libdpkg* would be substantially worse
than changes in layers (such as deb(5)) which are today being used today
as APIs.

OTOH, having a shared library would be much nicer for bindings to other
languages than a static one. And if that means that the soname of such a
library will grow indefinitely due to frequent ABI changes, well, "so be
it" would be my take. YMMV of course.

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .