Re: best policies for third party Debian packaging and get-orig-source target

Faheem Mitha <faheem@faheem.info> writes:

> Currently the Debian packaging is part of the same repository as the
> software, in the subdirectory debian/. I'm wondering if I should put it
> in a separate repository. Also, currently the package is being built as
> a Debian native package, which isn't really appropriate. I guess I could
> add a get-orig-source target for building the orig tarball to rules, but
> is it Ok to build a orig.tar.gz file from a local repository, or is it
> necessary to get it from remote? If the former, are there any
> recommended approaches for, for example, passing the location of the
> repository to the get-orig-source target?

What I do:

    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/debian/git.html#combine

The short version is that using pristine-tar and git-buildpackage to
manage upstream and debian branches as a merge between your released
tarballs works really well.  If you don't release tarballs at all, you can
still use the same tactic and have git-buildpackage construct an
*.orig.tar.gz file for you from the repository.