Re: best policies for third party Debian packaging and get-orig-source target

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:47:16 +0200, Thibaut Paumard
<mlotpot.news@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 29/07/2013 12:54, Faheem Mitha a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got Debian packaging for a piece of software I've written. This
>> software probably is too specialized to be part of Debian. In any case,
>> for now I have no plans to try to include it in Debian. However, I'd
>> like to follow best practices to the extent possible.
>>
>> Currently the Debian packaging is part of the same repository as the
>> software, in the subdirectory debian/. I'm wondering if I should put it
>> in a separate repository. Also, currently the package is being built as
>> a Debian native package, which isn't really appropriate. I guess I could
>> add a get-orig-source target for building the orig tarball to rules, but
>> is it Ok to build a orig.tar.gz file from a local repository, or is it
>> necessary to get it from remote? If the former, are there any
>> recommended approaches for, for example, passing the location of the
>> repository to the get-orig-source target?
>>
>> I'm not sure if this topic is appropriate for this list. if not, I can
>> take it elsewhere. Please CC me - I'm not subscribed.
>>
>>                                                      Regards, Faheem Mitha
>>

> Hi,
>
> It's good to apply good practices from the start, in case someone else
> wants to pick up or adapt your work. In that respect, it would be better
> to use non-native packaging.
>
> By "repository", do you mean git repository?

No, mercurial repository. Sorry, should have been more specific.

> As an upstream, I usually develop the upstream code in the master branch
> and merge it in a debian branch, which has the debian directory in addition.

> I use the tarballs that github builds automatically for my .org.tar.gz,
> and I commit that to the pristine-tar branch using the eponymous tool.
> You may or may not use git-buildpackage to build the package, but in any
> case the setup suggested by git-buildpackage documentation makes sense.
> The tarball should, if applicable, be the canonical tarball for your
> release.

> If using another version control system, look at svn-buildpackage,
> bzr-buildpackage etc. to see sort of "best" practices for the relevant
> VCS. For git, it's customary to merge upstream with the debian
> development branch. For other VCSes, the debian branch contains only the
> debian directory.

Ok. I'd be interested to know what people do with mercurial,
specifically. Does it make sense to have a separate named branch just
for the debian packaging? And then how would you combine them?