Re: PulseAudio

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 09:55:16PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 07/17/2013 09:45 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:

> >That's Fedora, right, which adopted PulseAudio in 2007 and told the rest of
> >the world it was ready for production use?

> >   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeaturePulseaudio

> No, Fedora cannot be counted as main stream.

Oh good, then we're in agreement - what Fedora ships as an init system
should have no bearing on the decisions Debian makes.

> However, it was Ubuntu who shipped Pulseaudio far before it was ready
> for the masses so you shouldn't be upset about bugs here.

You misunderstand me.  I'm not upset about anything - I'm merely pointing
out that Lennart is an unreliable source where claims of
production-readiness are concerned.  Ubuntu may have fallen for his
silver-tongued sales pitch back in 2007, but there's no reason Debian should
fail to learn from Ubuntu's mistakes.

Though if we're going to talk about bugs, even though the kernel audio
drivers have long since adapted to meet pulseaudio's requirements, PA itself
still manages to turn up some doozies.

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1019925

Why in 2012 - four years later - does a stable release of pulseaudio manage
to *crash* in response to a bluetooth hotplug event?  Will systemd also
crash in response to hardware hotplug events? :)