Re: PulseAudio

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:58:49AM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> I am sorry, but in my eyes, people who claim that PulseAudio is useless
> simply don't realize that there can be sound setups which are a little
> more sophisticated than just a single sound card and configuring
> these can be PITA when you don't have PA.

I certainly wouldn't claim that PulseAudio is useless - I quite appreciate
its features for desktop control of managing multiple sound inputs/outputs,
precisely for the reasons mentioned in this thread - but "once bitten, twice
shy".  PulseAudio was sold to distros as the perfect solution for audio, and
when it was shown that PA made demands on the kernel drivers that the
drivers couldn't deliver on, Lennart's response was that it was the kernel
drivers' problem to fix.

Ultimately, this led to much more robust audio drivers, and the system works
very reliably today.  But being told that things will work out in the long
term is cold comfort for anyone who needs a working system in the meantime.
I wonder what systemd integration problems will be handwaved as "somebody
else's problem", the way the kernel audio driver issues were for PA.