Re: SONAME migration: from liblambda0 to liblambda1

On 2013-07-15, Jerome BENOIT <g6299304p@rezozer.net> wrote:
> When the SONAME increments the associated binary library package has a new name,
> so the SONAME suffix has to increment as well accordingly: for a library package
> lambda, the binary library package could be renamed from liblambda0 to liblambda1.
> I thought that I could manage all of the change, but it appeared a last issue that
> I have just noticed by installing the new package: the former binary package
> liblambda0 is not discarded by the new binary package liblambda1, neither in Sid
> nor at the upgrading stage with aptitude.
> I guess that something is missing in `debian/control', any clue ?

At this stage, everything is working as expected. There sholudn't be any
reason to force removal of liblambda0.

What should happen here is that everything using liblambda should be
rebuild by the build daemons against liblambda1. Then when a package is
rebuilt, it will be have a newer version and be upgraded on teh users
systems.

Once all users of liblambda have been rebuilt and upgraded, the users
systems's autoremove functionality will suggest to remove liblambda0 as
it isn't used any more.

Note that the rebuilds can happen by the debian build infrastructure
without much human intervention, and the release team are helpful with
that. (it is called binNMU).

Due to how debian testing works with migrations and such, SONAME changes
(transition) must be coordinated with the release team. You can see
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions for details about
that.

Hope this helps

/Sune
 - comaintainer of a couple of smallish libraries.