Re: PulseAudio

Op 17-07-13 11:20, Samuel Thibault schreef:
> John Paul Adrian Glaubitz, le Wed 17 Jul 2013 11:13:37 +0200, a écrit :
>> On 07/17/2013 11:09 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>>> That these setups exist is completely fine. That the additional
>>> PulseAudio layer is being imposed even on systems that have a single
>>> sound card, is not.
>> Unless your PC was made in 1995, I am pretty sure it has one of these
>> "advanced" setups. Secondly, I am not seeing PA imposed onto anyone,
> It's getting pulled through various packages.
>
>> If you don't like it, uninstall it.
> It becomes more and more difficult to do it.
>
> Samuel

Fine, I'll bite..

chmod -x /usr/bin/pulseaudio

or

apt-get remove pulseaudio

And just because libpulse is pulled doesn't mean the pulseaudio daemon is pulled. Removing the
pulseaudio package would still be possible, even if it means leaving libpulse intact.

Pulseaudio is a GOOD thing, I don't know if you remember dmix before pulseaudio, but it was a
wonder if you could make it work on more than 1 card. Just because it worked on your own card
was no guarantee that it worked on anyone else's.

And before that it was even worse, and you had to configure dmix manually, in an attempt to get
sound from multiple programs at the same time, or use esound or artsd..
of course they were not compatible with each other.

The work on pulseaudio forced consistency and made sound work a lot better on linux out of the box.
I remember life before pulseaudio, and I don't miss it. I don't want to restart a program just to make
it detect a headset I plugged in. Or restart because I unplugged it (if the program doesn't crash already).

~Maarten