Re: Pulseaudio (was ... Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports)

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 6:29 AM, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:44:21AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> My most recent experience with PulseAudio came when I noticed that WoW
> (run through Wine) was producing crackling, stuttering sound again; this
> was during the late months before the wheezy release.
>
> I tried half-a-dozen things, without noticeable change (except for the
> things which led to no sound at all); eventually I noticed that some
> PulseAudio packages had been installed, apparently as recommendations or
> dependencies of other things. I tried a few things to disable use of
> PulseAudio without removing it, without affecting the problem; I then
> removed all *pulse* packages I could, and the problem was
> gone.

Me too, and I don't even use a DE! One day sound just stopped working.
Removing all of the *pulse* packages I could got sound working again.
I didn't mess with anything either.

If there _suddenly_ appears a bad smell in your house and you find the
cause, do you a) Remove the cause? b) Waste time by trying to find out why
it smells?

I recommend reading up on what 'anecdotal evidence' is, and filling the bug report on PA next time when you encounter a problem instead of pilling up PA issues in debian-devel in order to bash systemd.

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>