Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On 07/15/2013 09:50 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
How much of that improvement would be realised if we added a dependable,
declarative (i.e. config-based instead of shell-script-based) service
configuration support to sysvinit ?

You can't trivially add these features to sysvinit without fundamentally
rewriting it. systemd uses many modern Linux kernel features and system
calls which means you would have to use these features in a rewritten
sysvinit as well to be able to provide the reliability and features
of systemd which means you'd loose the portability again.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz