Re: abi-compliance-checker and abi-dumper to track API/ABI

On 9 July 2013 10:18, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:
>
>> So it is no need to create any input XML descriptors and compile header
>> files of a library anymore.
>>
>> However, this approach has some drawbacks. Perhaps the main drawback is the
>> inability to perform some compatibility checks. For example, there is no
>> possibility to check for changes in the values of the constants (defines as
>> well as const global data), since their values are inlined at compile time,
>> and not presented in the debug information of the binary ELF-object. In
>> general, there can be checked about 98% of all compatibility rules.
>
> Is there any way to automatically generate the XML stuff from dpkg/apt
> data so that these extra compatibility issues can be checked
> automatically?

One of the "library descriptors" that a-c-c supports is a list of
includes/directories.
Thus for $most packages just installing -dev package and pointing
a-c-c at the list of:
dpkg -L $pkg-dev | grep include lib
should do the right thing (more or less)
But I haven't gotten far enough to have this working automagically as
dep8 tests.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.