Re: default MTA

On 30/05/13 12:15, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:

>>> What you propose requires:
>>> * adding desktop environment specific code to every facility that may need
>>>   to send notifications
>>> * adding such notifications to every other desktop environment
>>
>> Wrong, we already have org.freedesktop.Notifications in GNOME,
>> KDE and Xfce.
>>
>>  So those two points become:
>>
>> * adding cross-desktop code to every facility that may need to send
>>   notifications
>> * adding a notification daemon to task-lxde
>>
>> There are libraries to help with the first point, of course.
>
> Wouldn't a daemon watching /var/mail/root and turning any mail into
> desktop notifications solve most of this, while still allowing the same
> notifications to reach a sysadmin on non-desktop systems?

I really think this is the way to go: By default install some
application on the debian-desktop tasksel that displays on the desktop
unread mails sent to root. Installing logcheck by default also would be
nice.

> The issue that worries me most about these desktop notification plans is
> the possibility that some package may decide to unnecessarily drop
> support for non-desktop systems, adding dependencies on the desktop
> notification system. I believe we already have had a few examples of
> such unnecessary dependencies on services which are "nice to have", like
> GNOME depending on NetworkManager for example.

This issue is easily solved by ensuring that programs sending
notifications do it by mail to root@localhost and not to some fancy new
dbus thing.