Re: default MTA

On Sb, 08 iun 13, 14:11:33, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> If there are no objections within a few days I would like to make some
> major changes to that page as follows:
>
> * the only options left under debate are:
>   - exim (status quo)
>   - postfix
>   - dma
>   - no MTA at all
>   - (did I miss or forget something?)
> * popularity is irrelevant (the default MTA will always be much more
>   popular) the entire section will be removed
> * advanced use cases are irrelevant, since the admin of such a
>   system will install what she needs anyway, regardless of the default

Instead of doing that I followed Stefano's suggestion to have each
position in its own subpage and simply added links to these sub-pages
(not created yet):

http://wiki.debian.org/Debate/DefaultMTA/Exim
http://wiki.debian.org/Debate/DefaultMTA/Postfix
http://wiki.debian.org/Debate/DefaultMTA/DMA
http://wiki.debian.org/Debate/DefaultMTA/NoMTA

I might be working on either DMA or NoMTA (or both) myself, but people
supporting the Exim and Postfix options should probably write these.

The old content is still there, but it should probably be moved to the
corresponding sub-page (if still relevant) or just deleted. Most of it
seams to deal with installs that are meant to handle "real" mail and it
is my impression that this use case is not relevant for this debate;
admins can simply apt-get their preferred MTA.

Kind regards,
Andrei