Re: x32 “half”arrived… now what?

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 09:45:21AM -0700, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> Matthias Klose wrote:
> >Multi-Arch isn't there yet. And even if it is, the multilib builds should be
> >kept for some more releases.  There is a lot to do on the Debian side, and on
> >the upstream side.  So maybe it helps your understanding to get the required
> >patches upstream to get multilib working with a multiarch setup.
>
> OK, maybe this weekend I'll work on creating patches to the gcc packaging to
> allow gcc-multilib to use multiarch libraries.  My basic idea right now would
> be something like:
>
> * Both lib32gcc1:amd64 and libgcc1:i386 provide an alternative for
> /usr/lib/gcc/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so pointing to its version of
> libgcc_s.so.*, with libgcc1:i386 having the higher priority.

Wouldn't it be easier to have lib32gcc1:amd64 merely depend on libgcc1:i386?
It'd save a massive amount of complexity.

For things that build-depend on lib32, we could mandate that amd64 buildds
must have i386 multiarch enabled.  This is ugly special-casing, but so less
ugly than status quo.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ