Re: Debian/Wheezy general rant Was: mount point gets "(deleted)" / unable to unmount

On Wed, June 5, 2013 15:34, Bjoern Meier wrote:
>>> the upgrade from squeeze to wheezy, was not a clean one.
>>> I've had to install a package (some lib-gd-annoying.deb), that wasn't
>>> installed before and wasn't able to install because of some unresolved
>>> debs.
>>

>> Honestly, what do you expect. It's simply impossible to always guarantee
>> a perfect upgrade from one release to another. You aren't just upgrading
>> the core of the operating system, but a huge set of user applications.
>
> Of course, you're right. If i had a "side-show" setting, I've nothing to
> say. But I think Apache and PHP should have tested which a widely range
> of users.

Debian as a volunteer project relies on input of users to test all
scenarios. I'm sure exactly this combination was tested with a wide range
of users. However, your problem description is so vague ("some
lib-gd-annoying.deb" ?) that it's not useful to us to determine what the
problem in your situation could be so we can solve it.

A "rant" -as per the subject- does not go far to improve our system. A bug
report with relevant details, does. So I strongly suggest that anyone
encountering issues focuses their energy on the latter.

Cheers,
Thijs