Re: systemd .service file conversion

On 02-06-13 16:09, Stuart Prescott wrote:

>> FWIW, I happen to agree with Marc. Having everything in /etc makes it
>> *much* clearer what the actual current configuration is; it also means
>> that if the defaults change on upgrade, your environment doesn't
>> suddenly start acting differently or inconsistently.
>
> If we want everything that makes a configuration decision in our /etc then
> we would want all the source packages there. After all, every tool we use
> has some sort default behaviour compiled into it. If desired, it can (often)
> be overridden with a config file in /etc (perhaps setting the environment
> appropriately).
[...snip extreme example...]

I'm not saying it's wrong to have incomplete configuration files, or
that it's wrong to have defaults live elsewhere than in /etc.

I'm just saying that I prefer it if files in /etc contain "all" (to a
reasonable extent) configuration, including defaults, over having /etc
be "empty" by default and just existing to override the real
configuration which exists elsewhere, in places like /usr or similar.

That there are other possible ways is obvious; the fact that these other
ways behave differently, and that it is not my *preference* to have such
other ways was the point of my mail.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/