Re: Debian systemd survey

Hi Russ,

Am 02.06.2013 18:59, schrieb Russ Allbery:
> For example, here's the complete systemd file for rsyncd:
>
> [Unit]
> Description=fast remote file copy program daemon
> ConditionPathExists=/etc/rsyncd.conf
>
> [Service]
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/rsync --daemon --no-detach
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
> There's really no reason to have something like an /etc/default setting
> for that, the way there is for the rsyncd init script.  You can just edit
> that directly (well, it's systemd, so you have to copy it into /etc and
> make a new version and then won't know if anything about the default
> changes -- a truly awful design, but that's another argument).

You do not necessarily have to copy the whole file. You can
override/amend the .service file by using a foo.service.d/*.conf snippet.
Say you just want to change the ExecStart line, you can do the following:

echo "ExecStart=/usr/bin/rsync --daemon --my-funky-param" >
/etc/systemd/system/rsync.service.d/my-override.conf

This mechanism is not yet in v44, but a newer version of systemd will be
uploaded to unstable soonish having this feature.

As for noticing upstream default changes: There is a tool called
systemd-delta, which can notify you about such differences.

That all said, I think one has to treat .service files more like
application ressource files. Having to change them should be the
exception rather then the norm. E.g., I see the need being able to
modify /etc/rsyslog.conf, but /etc/init.d/rsyslog (and therefore
rsyslog.service) not so much.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?