Re: default MTA

On 31/05/13 07:50, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
> A utility to scan syslog and convey important information to the user
> would be much more useful than configuring all mailers in Debian to read
> root's local mail by default. I know how to redirect root's mail
> elsewhere, thank you for not making another mail account to check.

The mailers don't need to read root's mail, they just need to read the
user's own mail, which is something they should do anyway. The fact that
many apparently still don't is quite a startling omission. I remember being
surprised many years ago that Netscape and Mozilla apparently didn't support
reading local mail, which should be a basic function of any Unix MUA.

Roger