Re: default MTA

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 05:11:35 PM Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 29 mai 2013 à 16:31 +0200, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino a
>
> écrit :
> > Take for example, smartmoontools [1]. Currently, if an end-user
> > installs smartmoontools and a hard-disk fails (i.e. smartd detects a
> > problem with one HD) he will *not* see any notification: the failure
> > is sent through local e-mail.
>
> He will see a notification on his desktop. Clear, understandable and
> translated in his configured language:
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-disk-utility/tree/src/notify/gdusdmonitor
> .c (The code is different but already here in squeeze and wheezy.)
>
> I don’t see why he would need to see it again in a cryptic English
> e-mail. You are really looking for a solution to a nonexistent problem.

Desktop notifications are really only useful for informing the user of things
as they happen.  If the user doesn't happen to be sitting at the screen when
the notification happens, they'll never know.  Even if they are using a system
that allows them to go back and review their notification history when they
return to their system, that's not the normal usage pattern.

Desktop notifications are no more a complete solution to the problem of letting
the user know than local mail is.

Scott K