Re: optimizing PNGs

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 05:28:18PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Olav Vitters wrote:
>
> > Long term plan (for GNOME) is doing away with differences between
> > tarball contents and git repository.
>
> Does that mean switching away from autotools?
> Or not shipping configure/Makefile.in in the tarballs?

Basically that we do not need to create tarballs anymore because the
tarball would be the same as the git tag. At the moment various things
are done when creating a tarball:
- ./autogen.sh
- make dist

The make dist might do loads of things, add pregenerated html files, not
ship some files, turn a configure.ac into a configure, etc. Now due to
this:
- tarball process is just another way of spreading our git repositories
- tarball might differ from the git tag (Gentoo packagers usually
  complain about this)

Various tools such as 'cgit' already allow you to download a git tag as
a tarball. But just the entire idea of tarballs is inefficient, it
duplicates what is in the git repository more inefficiently. So a long
term plan is to simplify this. Obviously very complicated and we'll talk
to distributions before, etc. Only reason I mentioned this is that 'make
dist' is fine for now, but long term such a thing should be elsewhere
(something which checks repositories for errors&warnings&improvements).

So in brief: at one point (I assume very very far in future after loads
of communication) not shipping configure, only configure.ac.

--
Regards,
Olav