Re: default MTA

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:09:07PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 28 mai 2013 à 10:34 +0100, Jonathan Dowland a écrit :
> > There is an impedence mismatch between packages which consider an MTA and the
> > sendmail interface to be standard and those desktop components that make no
> > such assumption. If we are going to keep ensuring a local MTA/sendmail interface
> > going forward, I'd love to see it better integrated into the desktop stack. (In
> > fact I still battle debconf-stuff-on-top-of-exim from time to time, when I have
> > a system where I don't want any local mail.)
>
> I don’t think desktop components lack integration with the MTA. For
> example, evolution will use /usr/sbin/sendmail by default. The problem
> is that usually, the MTA will not be configured to do anything useful,
> so users are better off using an external SMTP server, usually with
> authentication.

Also, a *lot* of mail servers, including those of Debian developers are
rejecting mails on some stupid basis (like reverse DNS doesn't match
EHLO[1], EHLO host not found, some f*ckwit RBL decided that since you're
on a DSL IP range, you're a spammer, lack of a reverse DNS record at
all[2], etc.), effectively rejecting mails that don't go through an ISP
external SMTP server. Running your own MTA without a smart host is a
PITA these days. So you're better off using an external SMTP server
directly.

Mike

1. alioth lists do that, now.
2. thanks to ipv6.