Re: X.509 and CA certificates for other purposes (i.e. the IGTF)

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:32:29PM +0200, Dennis van Dok wrote:
> The point I'd like to raise is that the current model of CA
> certificates seems to take an all-or-nothing approach: either a CA is
> trusted (for whatever purpose) or not. For the IGTF CAs, this may not
> be the right approach.

One of the things I would like to see is that trust settings are
part of a systemwide store.  This means that you can say you trust
a CA for clients, servers, email, codesigning, ...

Certificated in ca-certificates mostly come from mozilla, and they
already have such trust settings.  However they're lost when
imported in ca-certificates, so applications ussing the
certificates from ca-certificates can't check that.

Openssl can add such trust settings (see x509(1ssl), section
TRUST SETTINGS).  However it changes the format of the PEM
file, and gcrypt can't read this.

Kurt