Re: Debian systemd survey

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 09:22:22PM +0200, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> Actually it's just a response to the ongoing insulting by joss to
> variouse participants on mailinglists. As usual he has a way of mailing
> that i find disgusting.

I don't find yours to be much better.

> > You know why many projects are adopting many technologies that
> > are developed by RedHat people? It's because RedHat is an excellent
> > upstream and they are one of the largest contributors to the whole
> > Linux software stack, be it the kernel or anything above.
> In many projects yes, in some no. Current kernel development, tough an
> understandable way to compete with Oracle, is not as cooperative as it
> was.

There are more projects than kernel patches, though. And they argued
that they contribute to upstream, which is true, although the backport
situation is nothing to be proud of, I agree. There are a bunch of
projects started by RedHat (not in private as systemd) that are
useful to the community. See http://et.redhat.com/ for instance.

> Actually in ubuntu happened a lot of multiarch development before it
> ended up in debian.

And we still need to cope with the problems Ubuntu didn't have by design. ;-)

> Actually that is not true. With some projects they both do a good job
> while with others they suck, it depends mainly on the actual persons
> involved.

As with RedHat, I guess.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern