Re: ITP: opensmtpd -- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol daemon

+++ Colin Watson [2013-05-22 22:55 +0100]:
> > * Append "Debian-" to the username, as in Debian-opensmtpd
>
> This was used by Debian-exim and not a lot else that I ever heard of.
> In my view this scheme rightly failed; plenty of simple system
> monitoring tools (top, ps, and the like) truncate long usernames in many
> modes or turn them into UIDs, and sticking a seven-character prefix on
> the front just seems to be trying to maximise the probability of trouble
> like this, even though it is certainly clear.

And strictly speaking upper case is not allowed in UIDs, (if only to
avoid confusion and getting someone-else's email) although everything
seems to cope these days in practice. I do recall seeing a warning
about the 'Debian-exim' name from something-or-other once, which was
how I discovered the 'rule'.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/