Re: ITP: opensmtpd -- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol daemon

Daniel Walrond <debian@djw.org.uk> writes:

> As per policy 10.9 - Permissions and owners[0], opensmtpd requires
> some system users for running non-root-privileged processes. I propose
> to user the following dynamic accounts; opensmtpd, opensmtpq, opensmtpf.

> Also I will be co-maintaining this package with Ryan Kavanagh, who has
> already done some work packaging opensmtpd.

We currently have no good policy about how to name system users, but
despite that I personally would recommend against using simple
alphanumeric usernames like those.  (They are longer than eight
characters, which avoids some local namespaces, but not all.)

There are two conventions that other packages have used to make it less
likely that system accounts will conflict with local usernames:

* Append "Debian-" to the username, as in Debian-opensmtpd
* Append an underscore, as in _opensmtpd

I personally mildly prefer the latter just because it's simple, although
it isn't as informative or robust against any namespace issue.  Note that
you will have to pass --force-badname to adduser to let you use an
underscore in the name.