Re: Debian systemd survey

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> On 05/23/2013 01:45 AM, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> I understand it will be a pain for Ubuntu if Debian picks a different
>> init system. I don’t think this is relevant for the discussion, though.
>
> It might be very relevant for many of us that our package works on
> *both* Debian and Ubuntu (and other derivative, including those who
> derive from Ubuntu, like for example Mint) without too much
> modifications. Some of my packages already incorporate some upstart
> script for that reason.

As someone who packages software that has explicit systemd supporting
bits and pieces, which needs to be turned off on Ubuntu (at least
pre-raring Ubuntu), I'd like to note that doing this is *simple*. Ubuntu
have been patching out the systemd support from the syslog-ng package
anyway, doing the same myself for my own packaging was trivial.

I needed to make two modifications: remove libsystemd-daemon-dev from
build-depends, and not install the unit files. In the future, when
there'll be a dh_* tool to do the latter, I will need to do even less.

Also, post-raring, systemd is available in Ubuntu aswell, and in some
cases, you can check for systemd at runtime, needing no modification to
the package *at all*.