Re: Switching packages to non-awaiting triggers

Hello everybody,

For those interested in learning more about triggers, including the "noawait"
forms, which Guillem reminded us that they should be the ones to use in most of
the cases, I recommend to have a look to the patch in preparation for the
Debian Policy.

    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=87;filename=policy-triggers.diff;att=1;bug=582109

This patch has already been through a couple of cycles of comments, so I think
that the final version will not differ much.

Do not hesitate to send us comments if you find that parts are confusing, hard
to undertand, or missing !

My gut feeling is that triggers are still underused.  If you maintain a package
with a service that is restarted or activated to add data to a central
repository multiple times by other packages during an apt update, then you can
consider consolidating the process using triggers (-noawait in most cases).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan